Saturday, June 29, 2013

Grace Kelly in Rear Window ~ Barbie Saturday

No matter which Alfred Hitchcock movie I'm watching, I'm always in awe of the heroine's clothes. So, when Mattel came out with Barbie as Grace Kelly in not one, but two outfits from two different Alfred Hitchcock movies (Rear Window and To Catch A Thief), I was delighted. Mattel also issued two more Grace Kelly dolls: The Romance and The Bride. These dolls are based on her first meeting with Prince Rainier of Monaco and her subsequent wedding to him.

Rear Window is my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie with Jimmy Stewart as the wheelchair-bound photographer and Grace Kelly as his fashion editor girlfriend.


This outfit is actually my favorite one from the film. Here are the two stars on set receiving direction from Alfred Hitchcock.


You can see how closely Mattel's outfit (and accessories) match the original dress worn by Grace Kelly.


I love how the waist is accented with a skinny black belt. Mattel did a great job with this black and white dress. Pictured below is the back of the Rear Window Barbie box.




Thanks for stopping by :)

2 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a neat post!

I was blessed and lucky enough to actually spend time in Monaco back in the mid 90s - what a beautiful place.

Grace Kelly is still adored there - she was a living Barbie Princess for SURE!

I haven't seen that movie since I was a child - going to have to watch that one again - two great actors definitely!

Ricki Treleaven said...

One of my all-time favorite movies! :D